Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ben's cooking fiasco


My sweet husband saw a picture on a blog I was looking at of some cookies and said "oooh those look good, let's make them!"

I reply "I've got to go to a meeting; if you go to the store and grab what we need I'll make them when I get back." He agrees.

I return from the meeting 40 minutes overdue, feeling bad. I open the door, and am assaulted by the delicious smell...

...of something burning and lots and lots of melting wax... as if there are twenty burning candles in the house...

He looks at me and says, with the most darling and slightly frantic face, "I've made so many mistakes!"

I enter the house as he asks "Isn't parchment paper the same as wax paper?"

"No, they're different," I reply.

"Oh, I figured they were the same." Hence the smell of twenty candles as the wax paper melts in the oven.

"What can I do to help?" I say. He suggests that I load the dishwasher. I begin, and a moment later he calls out.

"I just sprayed canola oil in my face!" He's very stressed at this point, but taking it all in stride. Neither of us can stop laughing.

I continue with the dishes as he begins to frost the cookies. He turns around after just a moment, with frosting spilling down his face.

He smiles pathetically and says "I need to go take a shower."

He was perfectly clean before he began baking.

Before he headed off to the bathroom to clean up, we each took a cookie. In spite of it all, they tasted amazing!

What a wonderful man. I laughed so hard. Thanks Babe!

5 comments:

  1. props to the guy for trying...I don't let scott near the kitchen for that very reason :)

    you guys are so cute. Seriously, you are a living chick-flick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, no picture!? That really does sound hilarious.

    Funny, Trav is cooking dinner tonight. It's a pizza from Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute and so funny!! The greatest thing is that this will be a day that you two will be able to look back on and laugh about for the next 80 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny! You're a great writer Kelli. I felt like I was right there with you two in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog! Ben, you are so cute! Hope you guys are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete